[sylpheed] dealing with Usenet

Nicolas S.

Sep 17, 2007, 7:01:50 PM9/17/07

Hello,

I'm using sylpheed v2.4.2 to read newsgoups on Usenet.

How do we go to the parent/child message with one step (like slrn)?
Is there any shortcut key to get this feature?

I tried to change my shortcut keys. According to the manual, I move
the mouse over the feature (opening the menu) and I press the key
binding, but nothing passed. What's wrong?

--
Nicolas S.

Message has been deleted

Nicolas S.

Sep 19, 2007, 7:22:54 PM9/19/07
"anon...@free.fr" <anon...@free.fr> a écrit:

> Sylpheed's usenet features are limited. It's main functionality is
> e-mail.

I see.

> Why wouldn't you get a fully functional newsreader? Dialog has a lot
> of features, is very customizable with scripts, supports unicode, and
> can be used for e-mail too. Xnews is another good choice if you don't
> need unicode. XPN is more limited in terms of functionality. But all
> of them are better than Sylpheed for nntp.

What is this dialog you're talking about? Could I have a link?

--
Nicolas S.

Chris L

Sep 19, 2007, 7:56:16 PM9/19/07
On 2007-09-19, Nicolas S. <ni.s-f...@laposte.net> wrote:
> "anon...@free.fr" <anon...@free.fr> a écrit:

>> Why wouldn't you get a fully functional newsreader? Dialog has a lot
>> of features, is very customizable with scripts, supports unicode, and
>> can be used for e-mail too. Xnews is another good choice if you don't
>> need unicode. XPN is more limited in terms of functionality. But all
>> of them are better than Sylpheed for nntp.
>
> What is this dialog you're talking about? Could I have a link?

It is a newsreader for Windows.

http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

Message has been deleted

Peter J Ross

Sep 20, 2007, 7:23:12 AM9/20/07
In news.software.readers on Wed, 19 Sep 2007 21:57:42 -0400,
anon...@free.fr <anon...@free.fr> wrote:

> Yes, I was comparing Windows version of Sylpheed with other Windows
> newsreaders. Unless Unix version of Sylpheed has significantly extended
> NNTP capabilities compared to its Windows version (which I doubt), I don't
> think Sylpheed would be a best choice for a newsreader on Unix either.

The "significantly extended" version of Sylpheed is Sylpheed-Claws,
which has been renamed Claws-Mail. It should be available for Windows
too. I'd rate it about level with Pan and not far below Dialog.

I can't help with the original question because Sylpheed (version
2.4.5 here) freezes when I try to subscribe to a newsgroup. Possibly
this is because I also have Claws installed.

--
PJR :-)

Message has been deleted

Blinky the Shark

Sep 20, 2007, 1:32:43 PM9/20/07
anon...@free.fr wrote:

> On 20 Sep 2007 11:23:12 GMT, Peter J Ross wrote:
>>
>> The "significantly extended" version of Sylpheed is Sylpheed-Claws,
>> which has been renamed Claws-Mail. It should be available for Windows
>> too. I'd rate it about level with Pan and not far below Dialog.
>>
>> I can't help with the original question because Sylpheed (version
>> 2.4.5 here) freezes when I try to subscribe to a newsgroup. Possibly
>> this is because I also have Claws installed.
>
> Sylpheed just cannot handle large volume of mail in general. When I
> download 100 e-mails with Sylpheed, it pops up message about what it's
> doing and becomes very slow for several minutes till it finishes the task.
> Plus the connection often breaks and I have to repeat the task to get the
> rest of e-mails.
>
> For comparison, Dialog seamlessly fetches hundreds of messages in the
> background, and I can still read, post, and do other things.
>
> I know about Claws mails for windows. It has more features than Sylpheed.
> But it has one "fatal" flaw: lack of portability. Sylpheed is fully
> portable and I use it at home and at work from the same USB key. With Claws
> one needs two separate installations in two (or three, or more) different
> places, which must be constantly synchronized with each other. I've been in
> that situation before. The amount of time you waste synchronizing, and then
> all the times something goes wrong and you lose your settings or mail -
> it's just not worth it, no matter what extra features Claws has.

Why are you hiding your X-Newsreader ([Free]Agent) header? Why are you
using XNA so that any good information you might post is lost to those
who might be able to benefit by it?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Nicolas S.

Sep 20, 2007, 6:31:30 PM9/20/07
Peter J Ross <p...@example.invalid> a écrit:

> The "significantly extended" version of Sylpheed is Sylpheed-Claws,
> which has been renamed Claws-Mail. It should be available for Windows
> too. I'd rate it about level with Pan and not far below Dialog.

Does pan or claws allow to move to parent/child posts?
A pretty feature of Sylpheed is the detached window view for the post.

While slrn unicode support is not convincing...

--
Nicolas S.

Peter J Ross

Sep 20, 2007, 7:05:57 PM9/20/07
In news.software.readers on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:31:30 +0200, Nicolas
S. <ni.s-f...@laposte.net> wrote:

> Peter J Ross <p...@example.invalid> a écrit:
>
>> The "significantly extended" version of Sylpheed is Sylpheed-Claws,
>> which has been renamed Claws-Mail. It should be available for Windows
>> too. I'd rate it about level with Pan and not far below Dialog.
>
> Does pan or claws allow to move to parent/child posts?

In Claws, Ctrl-UP goes to the parent.

P goes to the previous displayed message and N to the next, whether
they're part of the same thread or not,

I don't know of a way of finding a child message in Claws - or in
anything else, Some newsreaders (like slrn and, I think, XNews) can
retrieve children from the server, but they don't choose one to
display.

> A pretty feature of Sylpheed is the detached window view for the post.

Don't all GUI newsreaders have that? Claws certainly does.

> While slrn unicode support is not convincing...

In 0.9.8.1pl2.1 it's quite convincing enough for me.

--
PJR :-)

Message has been deleted

Blinky the Shark

Sep 21, 2007, 3:42:29 AM9/21/07
anon...@free.fr wrote:
> I know you're curious about me. You kept asking me same question in

I think I asked twice -- once when I noticed you were suppressing your
client's (Agent's) ID and later when I saw you were posting with the
anticommunity XNA header.

> another thread. Did you try reading alt.privacy? I know it might be
> overwhelming if you don't know where to start. Everybody might seem
> like they need a tin-foil hat and a psychiatrist :)

No, I didn't. I'm not a stranger to the concept of privacy -- you don't
see me posting with my real name, address and phone number, eh? And for
the occasional post to groups that are full of real-name-Nazis (German
groups or otherwise) I use a real-sounding name that is not mine, and
not the same news client or server that I generally use as Blinky, my
99.999% online persona. So I don't think I really need a primer on
privacy.

> As an introduction, try:
> _http://www.zmag.org/Chomsky/ni/ni-contents.html

I'll pass. Wow...I don't think I've read any Chomsky since college,
back in the late 1960s.

> If you are able to understand it (most people don't), then you can
> give me your e-mail and we can go from there. Let's not talk about it
> further in this newsgroup, ok :)

I'm not really that interested in you, beyond the very casual curiosity
I expressed in here.

Message has been deleted

Nicolas S.

Sep 22, 2007, 12:18:47 PM9/22/07
Peter J Ross <p...@example.invalid> a écrit:

> I don't know of a way of finding a child message in Claws - or in

> anything else, Some newsreaders (like slrn and, I think, XNews) can
> retrieve children from the server, but they don't choose one to
> display.

:-)

A funny feature would be the ability to move to the parent posts and go
back directly to the "previous" childs, then.

--
Nicolas S.